Proper ID required when changing addresses for vehicle registration

Hidalgo County is implementing new requirements for changing an address on motor vehicle records, according to a news release.

Residents must first use the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles VTR-146 “Change of Address for Texas Vehicle Registration” form or the VTR-39A “Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice” if they would like to fix an address on a motor vehicle record.

Residents can then apply to change their address with an updated ID.

“Customers are required to register their vehicles in the county that they reside,” Hidalgo County Tax Assessor-Collector Pablo Villarreal said in a release. “It is our responsibility to verify that the new requested address change matches the applicant’s identification.”

Acceptable ID must include a photo of the applicant, a unique identification number and an expiration date:

>> A driver’s license or state identification certificate issued by a state or territory of the United States;

>> United States or foreign passport;

>> U.S. Military identification card;

>> U.S. Department of Homeland Security identification document;

>> U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services identification document;

>> U.S. Department of State identification document;

>> North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) identification;

>> Identification issued under a Status of Forces Agreement.

For more info, call (956) 318-2157 or (956) 318-2158.