Renters also possibly eligible for post-flood assistance

Hidalgo County residents who rent rather than own homes may also apply for assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

President Donald Trump issued a federal disaster declaration for Hidalgo and Cameron counties last week prompting the availability of aid from the federal government by applying through or by calling (800) 621-3362.

In order to potentially receive assistance, the damages to property in rented and owned residences must have been caused by the declared disaster, according to information provided by FEMA. In this case, unrelenting storms flooded areas of Hidalgo County in late June.

“Both renters and homeowners may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance through FEMA,” agency spokeswoman Robin Smith said.

The grants may cover the cost of replacing property including prescription medication, furniture, appliances and certain vehicles. The grants available could also help pay for temporary housing while renters are displaced from their residences, according to information provided by FEMA representatives.

Renters and homeowners living in flood zones must maintain flood insurance once they have received federal assistance through FEMA, Smith said.

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers loans to not only business owners but also qualified homeowners and renters. To apply, contact the SBA at (800) 659-2955 or